What to do:
1. Measure your chair. You need to know how wide it is (at it's widest) and then how tall the back section is. Make sure that it reaches down to about 5cm above the seat section of the chair.
2. Cut the main rectangle shape of your covers to be about 48cm wide and 46cm tall and top edge to have a triangle shape (for the santa hat look), to make about 25cm tall from the top point, down to where the main rectangle shape begins.
3. Then, cut out 2 of these shapes, but add a 1cm on all sides (except for the bottom).
4. Then place them together (with right sides together if you have a fabric with a "right" side) and sewed along all of the edges except for the bottom, using a 1cm seam allowance.
5. Then trim off the 3 points, then turn it right side out and ironed flat (not too hot).
6. Sewed a straight line across the top of the chair cover, right where the triangle shape and the rectangle shape meet. This will keep the chair cover in place and will stop the cover from sliding down the chair.
7. Then, cut a 6cm wide piece of white felt that is the same width as the bottom of the chair cover, plus a 1cm at each end, for the seam allowance.
8. Sewed the two ends together with a 1cm seam allowance then turn it right side out and slipped it on around the bottom edge of the seat cover. (Place the side seam of the white strip right on top of one of the side seams of the seat cover.)
9. Match up the two bottom edges of the white strip and the seat cover and sewed the two layers together, using a 0.5cm seam allowance. Sewed another seam along the top edge of the white strip as well.
10. Cut long strips of the white felt, about 0.8cm. Cut those long strips up into about 10cm long pieces.Use about 45-50 little strips per pom-pom.
11. Wrap a long piece of the upholstery thread around the middle of the felt strips and pull tight. Then wrap a few more times and knotted it several times. Then, fluff up the pieces and it turned into more of a pom-pom shape.
12. You can either hand-stitch each pom-pom to the tip of each hat or you can hot glue it.
What you need:
- red polyester felt (the amount you need, depends on the size of your chairs)
- white polyester felt (the amount you need, depends on the size of your chairs)
- white thread
- hot glue (optional)
- sewing machine
- measuring tape
Estimated time needed: 1hour